Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Chunky Cable Hat

I needed a quick knitting project over the weekend and settled on this Purl Bee hat pattern, which I knew would knit up quickly with chunky yarn. I used some of the gifted wool I received during the summer and doubled it to meet gauge. This hat is super thick and toasty warm! I'm ready for snow and freezing temperatures.

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Cypress Vest

I'm a sucker for a good vest and this one is already a favorite. I love the fabric that was created with the textured stitch pattern and the thick ribbing at the hem, neck and sleeves. The pattern was well-written and easy to follow. I did do a tubular cast-on for the front and the back, but did a regular cast-off for the sleeve and neck ribbing. I'd definitely recommend this project for an intermediate knitter. I made no modifications to the sweater and it fits perfectly!

Sunday, November 02, 2014

Bray Cabled Pullover is Complete!

I spent this afternoon seaming together the Bray pullover. It came together quickly and there weren't many ends to weave in. I'm really happy with how this sweater turned out! The last sweater I knit was back in February, so this was a satisfying project. It was a fun knit and I love the cable and lace pattern, as well as the slightly fitted shape (very flattering) and the saddle shoulders. My modifications: I lengthened the sweater by a couple of inches and mistakenly seamed the sleeves with the stockinette stitch on the right side instead of the reverse stockinette as called for in the directions. I wasn't paying attention when I began seaming the sleeves to the front and back and didn't notice that I had placed them incorrectly until after one sleeve was already done. Luckily, there isn't really a right or wrong side to the sleeves and I think the sweater looks fine. In fact, I rather like being able to see the decrease detailing on the shoulders. Thumbs up for this pattern!

PS There are so many different color variations of the yarn in these photos, but it's a bright army green best represented in the first photo below.

Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Bit of This and a Bit of That

I got back into knitting full force once September hit and the weather was a little cooler. I'm working on the Brooklyn Tweed Bray cabled pullover. I'm just about finished with the front and then I can block all the pieces. Bolt is having their sale this weekend and I headed in on Friday and came away with an awesome score of floral silk from Theory, dot chambray, APC flannel and double-faced wool knit (cream on the other side). I have the latest Machiko Kayaki pattern book, One Piece Dress, and will choose some things to sew up and trace out those projects.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Huge Yarn Sale This Saturday, Sept. 13!

I was gifted a bunch of yarn and am going to sell most of it this Saturday, Sept. 13 at 1:30 p.m. See the Craigslist posting here for details. The yarn is mostly wool, but there are also some cottons and novelty ones too. Come check it out!

Monday, September 01, 2014

Back-To-School Sewing: Scout Tee

Melissa gifted me this fantastic Nani Iro Mountain Views fabric and I knew immediately that I wanted to make a Scout Tee. I had downloaded this pattern a while back, so it was taped together, cut out and ready to go. I didn't realize the fabric was double gauze until I started cutting out the pattern pieces. I just thought it was a woven cotton. And you probably can't tell in the photos, but the pattern on the fabric is metallic, which I love. With only four pattern pieces, this project was quick. The directions were clear and thorough and would be perfect for a beginner sewist. No modifications were necessary for this pattern and I love how it turned out, especially with this particular fabric.

Sunday, August 03, 2014

Alder Shirtdress

I finished the Alder Shirtdress this afternoon. I love how it turned out! The fabric is a fuchsia silk (I think?) that was gifted to me. This pattern is easy-to-follow with well-written and clear directions. It would be a good project for intermediate sewers. I opted to only add one pocket instead of two, but made no other modifications to the pattern. I was pleasantly surprised when I went in to Bolt to pick out some buttons and found these pink shell ones that happened to match exactly. This will be a great dress to wear during the last month of summer!

Sunday, July 06, 2014

Saturday Night Sewing: Tiny Pocket Tank

I finally got around to sewing up this Tiny Pocket Tank from Grainline Studio. It is a beginning project with well-written directions that are easy to follow. The pattern is a digital download that you tape together with seam allowance already included. I was recently gifted a bunch of fabrics, mostly silks, and I thought this patterned and textured black silk (or some synthetic?) would work well for the tank. The fabric was a bit slippery and did not press particularly well, so I ended up omitting the tiny pocket. I love the easy fit and drape of the top. It's a great basic for summer!

PS Grainline Studio has a new online shop.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Weekend Sewing: Cotton & Silk Tunic

Here's a super quick project I sewed up today. This is a tunic from the Pretty Straight Sewing Japanese pattern book. The fabric is a sheer cotton/silk print from J. Crew that I got from Bolt a couple of weeks ago. This tunic has only two seams that I had to sew: the bottom of the sleeve, then the side. I sewed French seams to make things neat. I cut some bias strips for the neckline and then hemmed the sleeves and the bottom and I was done! This was supposed to be a dress, but I found a hole in the fabric that could not be repaired. Luckily it was toward the bottom of the garment and remedied by cutting about six inches off the bottom.