Sunday, November 29, 2009
Photo from saraicat
Local Colette Patterns has five great new patterns, just in time for more holiday sewing! There are several new dresses, a coat, and this fabulous blouse, which I had to purchase immediately. All patterns are available for pre-order now with free shipping. Check them out!
Thursday, November 19, 2009
I finished sewing on the sleeves this evening. It was easier than I thought it would be. I think all the pleat markings on the pattern intimidated me. I finally figured out how to insert the zipper too. Essentially, you clip the seam allowance above and below the pocket and fold those sections over to form a continuous seam allowance with the pocket on which to sew one side of the zipper. I don't know if that makes sense, but once I figured it out, the illustrations in the directions completely made sense. Unfortunately, it's much too cold to wear this right now. It'll be on the dress form until spring!
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Sunday, November 15, 2009
I started sewing the Cynthia Rowley Simplicity 2497 dress late this afternoon. I got the bodice and the skirt sewn up. The zipper is on the left side and I think it will probably be sort of complicated to sew in because of the side seam pockets. I must have read the directions a dozen times, but they are a little unclear and the pictures don't seem to match what they're saying. Oh well, I can troubleshoot it later. I really like the blouson effect of the bodice.
Sunday, November 08, 2009
I swatched with the Schulana Merino and met gauge with the recommended size six needles. This sweater is knit in one piece from the top down. Here's the start of the collar with the pink markers marking the raglan sleeve increases.
Thursday, November 05, 2009
A crazy storm seems to have landed into town, so the evening has been windy and rainy. I found a waterlogged box on my porch when I got home and it was the Schulana Merino Superlight for the New Motorbike Jacket that is next on my project list. It looks like I'll have some great knitting weather this weekend.
Sunday, November 01, 2009
I still hadn't sewn up the olive green linen that I scored from Fabric Depot a couple of weeks back, so yesterday I cut out the Tulip Skirt pattern by Jenny Gordy that was in the fall 2008 issue of Stitch magazine. Due to the time change, I woke up pretty early this morning and decided to start sewing up the skirt. The pattern was pretty simple to follow, though I think the placket instructions weren't completely correct. You are supposed to cut out two plackets and two placket facings, but the directions only seem to address one placket. There didn't seem to be any errata for this particular skirt, but I was able to figure it out easily enough. The only mods I made included adding topstitching on the waistband and placket and using five buttons instead of four. This linen was a dream to work with and holds an excellent drape. I think the skirt turned out cute and will be perfect for wearing with tights and boots.