Friday, April 23, 2010

Chat with Sarai Mitnick of Colette Patterns



Sunday, April 25
5 p.m.
@ Pattern Review
Join this online chat with local PDXer Sarai Mitnick, owner of Colette Patterns, on Sunday at the Pattern Review site. This will be a live moderated discussion and your chance to "ask the expert."
The chat is open to all and the password is colette (all lower case).
You can get more information here.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Before & After: Loose Shirt Remixed

I spent yesterday and today altering several items of clothing, both handsewn and retail, that were too big for me. I hate doing alterations and had been putting them off for a while. I specifically wanted to redo this loose shirt I made back in September last year. I only wore it once because it was way too boxy and the sleeves were too puffy and big. I couldn't get rid of it though since I made it using this awesome Liberty print. I removed the sleeves and then took in about two inches at the side seams and added a tiny bit of shaping there. After I pinned the shirt at the sides and tried it on, I realized the shoulders were dropped enough that it appeared I already had a cap sleeve! What luck! All I had to do was hem the armholes. Below is what the shirt looks like now. I wore it today and will definitely wear it again.


Saturday, April 17, 2010

Some Liberty and Some Silks

Latest haul from the Bolt sale today. Some Wiltshire Liberty and some printed silks to make some lightweight items for spring and summer.


Sunday, April 11, 2010

Built By Wendy Simplicity 3835 Dress

I had this pattern cut out for a week before I actually started doing any sewing on it. It takes me a while to start sewng projects, but once I get started, I can't seem to stop. I finished this dress this morning and I must admit, it came out much cuter than I thought it would. I really love it! I had made the shirt view of this pattern a while back, but at a size 10, it was too small in the shoulders. So, this was made in a size 12 and it fits perfectly. As I mentioned in my previous post, I combined the view B elbow-length sleeves, minus the ties, with view A of the dress. The dress has darts in the back to make it slightly fitted, which I like. I decided to cut the pockets on the bias for some visual interest instead of completely matching them to the dress. I was also able to match the plaid at the side seams and the back seam. The only other mod I made was to use an invisible zipper instead of a lapped zipper. This dress will get worn during the upcoming work week!







Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Mad About Plaid

I bought this buffalo tartan plaid a while back from Fabric Depot and finally found a project for it. I'm sewing up one of the Built By Wendy Simplicity patterns, 3835. I'm mashing up characteristics of both dresses into one. I'm making view A, which is longer, and adding the longer sleeves of view B, but not adding the ties. Here are the patch pockets that I cut on the bias and sewed on the other night. I used Casey's clever tip of tracing a pocket template out of cardstock and then ironing the edges of the pocket up around that. It worked like a charm!


Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Marais Oxfords

One of my goals for spring and summer was to find a pair of white/off white shoes, either sandals or flats. I've been looking online and in local shoe stores and finally found these Marais Oxfords from Solestruck, the online shoe store that recently opened a brick and mortar shop in Portland's Pearl District. I wanted something that could be dressy, as well as casual and I think these fit that requirement nicely. They're made of canvas with a pink satin trim. They also come in black and a dark forest green.



Monday, April 05, 2010

Laced Up

Over the weekend, I headed over to LYS Close Knit to check out some Norah Gaughan pattern books, specifically this one. Instead, I left with this fantastic Rowan Studio Issue 12 pattern book. All the projects are knitted up using Rowan Kidsilk Haze or Kidsilk Aura, both mohair and silk blends. I'm making the Balloon Sleeve Top and am using this lovely purple shade. Setting up the lace pattern was difficult because I was extremely tired and ended up skipping stitches in the pattern. I had to rip out several rows several times and doing that with mohair is a huge pain. Now that the pattern is established though, I'm moving along pretty quick.


Saturday, April 03, 2010

Heather Hoodie Vest is Finished

I finished sewing the buttons on the Heather Hoodie Vest last night and did a final steam blocking on the button band, hood, and armhole ribbing. This is one warm sweater! The bulky yarn created a very thick and dense fabric that should keep me toasty even without sleeves. The only thing I don't like is how much the yarn sheds. Beware, it gets on everything. I would definitely recommend this project. It's quick, but holds your interest with the cable pattern.




Thursday, April 01, 2010

Heavy Sweater

Casting on for this button band gave me hand cramps and I had to redo it about three different times. I should have this sweater ready to wear by the weekend!